Tuesday 29 May 2012

Individual brief summaries


year book evaluation

This brief was a times really good and others not so good. A couple of things that didn't work in this brief are; the size of the group and organisation could have been better. Our group consisted of 5 people which in hind sight was to many, there was too many people for the jobs that needed to be done. Another problem with this brief is that the correspondence with the clients, if we had more face to face meetings then we would have received all the photos and information from the students a lot quicker. Despite receiving the information and images later than expected we managed to organise all of it and produce a suitable structure that reflected our concept of showing the process in which the students work. I am quite pleased with the final resolution, mainly working on the inside layout and structure of the book, this brief has been a challenge but rewarding sending it off to get professionally printed.

SixteenHT evaluation

This brief was a good experience, the majority of the brief was focussed on the process of silk screen printing. Starting out with the book fair and expanding onto other projects such as the Norwich print Odyssey. I found from this brief that it gave me a better working knowledge of print, looking at how inks merge and overlay, getting back to how printing was originally done. Also within this brief I had a focus on the stationary and some of the promotional aspects of the SixteenHT branding such as the website. Again shorter deadlines meant that working under pressure forces decisions which I find progresses the projects along more than the briefs that expanded over a longer period of time. 


Student handbooks

This was a successful pitch collaborating with Dutch. As a team we worked quite well together, having similar interests to each other we were on the same wave length. My focus was on the typography within the handbooks, the idea was to create a set of type treatments which engaged the reader.

The ideas that we came up with were good but found that applying them hard, eventually running out of time. As we are continuing to work on the brief, the ideas that we have and the way we can develop this brief is still there to take to the clients. 


Bryony Longden

This brief was by far one of my favourites, a live brief with a real client meant that everything I was producing was real. As Bryony didn't have any idea of what she wanted for her branding I was given free reign to produce what I wanted. Compared to the year book this client / designer partnership worked really well, I was able to bounce ideas off of Bryony and for her to give me feedback was really useful. Originally all Bryony wanted was a look book and I helped shape the project so that she came out with a brand identity, stationary, look book, promotional material, a potential web presence and garment labels and packaging.

In this brief I focussed very much on creating something bespoke, using typography to determine the art direction. I learnt a lot from this project, most of all setting myself short deadlines and sticking to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment